The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel: The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel: for receiving instruction in prudent behavior, doing what is right and just and fair; for giving prudence to those who are simple, knowledge and discretion to the young— let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance—for understanding proverbs and parables, the sayings and riddles of the wise. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:1-7 NIV
When people dismiss the value of a quality education, it usually means they think they are superior to others and don’t want the competition. We see that trait in what is happening in the White House.
In spite of their “level of education,” they lack understanding and knowledge and experience to even be in the White House–from the top to the bottom.
What’s needed in order to get “a little understanding” is the following:
- Background knowledge of the party a person claims to represent in politics.
- Knowledge of how government works (read a good civics book or find a version of Schoolhouse Rock for those who are functionally illiterate).
- An intense inquisitiveness to understand various cultures and their needs (visit museums, watch documentaries that illustrate the complexities of life on earth and the importance of appropriate interactions with others, spend time reading in libraries and not just “favorite” books).
- Having a capacity for demonstrating compassion and empathy without launching missiles at those one might dislike.
- Realizing that the world evolves and will not stand still simply because one lacks understanding of how things are done and that there is more than one perception about every issue.
- Understanding of who Christ is and all He represents (read a bible)
- Making sure one’s physical and mental capacities are functioning optimally.
People shouldn’t be “too hard” on Sean Spicer for after all, he simply doing his master’s bidding. He is simply a parroting buttwipe–repeating what he’s told to say. So, not only does he need to visit the Holocaust Museum, they all need to visit every museum on the mall and beyond to get a better understanding of people and what governing people from all walks of life–really means.
Perhaps, someone should arrange a “walking tour” for everyone in the White House so they get obtain a little understanding of what it means to be there.
But perhaps, my thoughts are simply fantasy–just a dream that we’d actually have people in the White House who know what they’re doing and why. Did I say dream–more like a nightmare from which I hope we’ll wake up soon.
What I’ve learned from living is that there is so much that I don’t know that I can appreciate learning something new–everyday. I look for opportunity to learn something knew, never completely satisfied with what I already know.
But then, I trust in The Word of God–“Wisdom is the principle thing and with all of your getting, get understanding.” If we get beyond thinking we know all there is to know, we’d be surprised at how much there is to learn–on a daily basis.
How much better would our lives be with a little understanding about self, others, and the world around us!